Control the flow of fluid using the flow of electrons! This liquid valve would make a great addition to your robotic gardening project. There are two 1/2" (Nominal non-taped National Pipe) outlets. Normally, the valve is closed. When 12VDC is applied to the two terminals, the valve opens and water can push through. The valve has a gasket arrangement inside, so there is a minimum pressure requirement of 0.02 Mpa (3 PSI). Also, liquid can only flow one direction.
Adafruit tried this solenoid at various DC voltages and found Adafruit could actuate it down at 6VDC (although it was a little slower to open). Here is the current draw table for various voltages. We suggest a TIP120 or N-Channel power FET with a 1N4001 kickback diode to drive this from a microcontroller pin. For a power supply, Adafruit's 9V 1A or 12V 1A power adapters will do the job.
If you want a beefier water valve, We also carry a brass version which does not have a minimum pressure requirement and can be used with liquid flow in either direction.
These solenoids are not rated for food safety or use with anything but water.
- 1/2" Nominal NPS
- Working Pressure: 0.02 Mpa - 0.8 Mpa
- Working Temperature: 1 ℃ - 75 ℃
- Response time (open): ≤ 0.15 sec
- Response time (close): ≤ 0.3 sec
- Actuating voltage: 12VDC (but Adafruit found it would work down to 6V)
- Actuating life: ≥ 50 million cycles
- Weight: 4.3 oz
- Dimensions: 3.3" x 1.69" x 2.24"
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
- Controlling a Solenoid with an Arduino
We covered a whole bunch of rotational motion when we looked at DC motors. It’s only fair to give linear motion the same treatment. Electric solenoids work on similar electromagnetic principles to those of DC motors, however, solenoids can u...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.