Control the flow of fluid using the flow of electrons! This liquid valve would make a great addition to your robotic gardening, aquarium, or pool project. There are two 1/2" (Nominal NPS) outlets. Normally, the valve is closed. When 12VDC is applied to the two terminals, the valve opens and water can flow. Unlike the plastic solenoid valve, this one does not have a gasket, so there is no minimum pressure requirement.
Adafruit tried this solenoid at various DC voltages and found Adafruit could actuate it down at 6VDC (although it was a little slower to open). Here is the current draw table for various voltages. We suggest a TIP120 or N-Channel power FET with a 1N4001 kickback diode to drive this from a microcontroller pin. For a power supply, Adafruit's 12V 5A power adapter will do the job.
If you want smaller, more basic valve, We also carry a plastic version which does have a minimum pressure requirement but has much lower power requirements!
These solenoids are not rated for food safety by any official standards. However, they are made of cast brass, with a rubber gasket made of NBR (Nitrile Rubber) so it can be used with any fluid that will not damage or be damaged by the rubber gasket material.
- 1/2" Nominal NPS
- Working Liquid Pressure: 0 Mpa - 1.0 Mpa (140 PSI)
- Working Temperature: -5℃ - 80 ℃
- Actuating voltage: 12VDC (but Adafruit found it would work down to 6V)
- Actuating life: ≥ 50 million cycles
- Weight: 1.7lbs
- Dimensions: 105mm tall x 55mm wide x 65mm long
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- Controlling a Solenoid with an Arduino
We covered a whole bunch of rotational motion when we looked at DC motors. It’s only fair to give linear motion the same treatment. Electric solenoids work on similar electromagnetic principles to those of DC motors, however, solenoids can u...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.