Pump up the volume with this 20W stereo amplifier! This slim little board has a class D amplifier onboard that can drive 2 channels of 4-8 ohm impedance speakers at 20W each. Power it with 5-12VDC using the onboard DC power jack and plug stereo line level into the 3.5mm stereo headphone jack and jam out with ease. Since it's class D, its completely cool-running, no heat sinks are required and it's extremely efficient - up to 93% efficiency makes it great for portable or battery powered rigs.
Adafruit like the MAX9744 amplifier at the heart of this board because its very easy to use, but it also has both analog and digital volume control capability. Use a single 1KΩ pot (we include one) to adjust volume analog-style. Or hook it up to your favorite microcontroller and send I2C commands to set 64-steps of volume amplification.
Some great stats about the MAX9744:
- Power from 4.5V-14V DC voltage
- Up to 93% efficient (88-93% typical)
- 20mA quiescent current (or put into shutdown for 1uA quiescent)
- Up to 29.5dB max gain
- Use DC or AC coupled line-level input, up to 3Vpp
- Filterless Spread-Spectrum Modulation Lowers
Radiated RF Emissions from Speaker Cables
- 20W Stereo Output (4Ω, VDD = 12V, THD+N = 10%)
- Low 0.04% THD+N
- Integrated Click-and-Pop Suppression
- Short-Circuit and Thermal-Overload Protection
Adafruit took this lovely chip and wrapped it up into a breakout for you, with polarity-protection, jacks and terminal blocks, i2c level shifting, and a spot to solder in a volume pot.
Each order comes with one MAX9744 breakout board with all surface-mount parts fully assembled and tested. They also include 3 x 2pin and 1 x 3pin terminal blocks, a 470uF power filter capacitor and 1KΩ trim pot. To use this board, a little soldering is required to attach the terminal blocks and other components, but its fairly easy and expect it should take less than 15 minutes. Check out Adafruit's detailed tutorial for assembly instructions and overall usage
Dimensions (without 0.1" header or terminal blocks):
- Length: 54mm / 2.1"
- Width: 41mm / 1.6"
- Height: 2mm / .08"
- Weight: 11g
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- How to Use Speakers and Amplifiers with Your Project
A popular question that we get all the time is ‘How do I choose a speaker or amplifier to go with my project?’. It’s a good question, and if you’re not familiar with the terminology, it can seem a bit daunting to know whether ...
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
- Sound Effects Button
The idea for this project came when a friend of mine flew over from Western Australia to visit, and during his stopover in Adelaide, he did what any adult would do; visit the airport novelty store and buy some random stuff. It was pretty much all junk, except for this big green dome button which played a different, comic voice saying ‘YES’ every time you pressed it. Simple, but, it entertained us on the drive from Syd...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade