For winding custom coils, or very fine-pitch rework, Adafruit always reach for magnet wire. Magnet wire is very very thin (0.1mm diameter!) copper wire with a very thin layer of insulation. It's used for a range of electronics, hacking and making applications. Commonly these are used for winding transformers, inductors, motor or solenoid coils, speakers, hard disk head actuators, electromagnets, pickups, among other things. However, this wire is also really good for when you have to do PCB repair, jumper wires, or solder directly to SMT pads.
This spool is ~11.5 meters of ~38 AWG thick magnet wire, just enough to do a few projects. Adafruit recommend a spool for every engineer's workbench. Like all magnet wire there is a thin enameled insulation. Some people like to remove it with a small flame (from a lighter, say) but Adafruit have found that an easy way to remove it is to melt a blob of solder onto your iron and then dip the end into the blob for a few seconds. Remove the wire and it'll be both cleaned off and tinned!
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.