Infrared LEDs are used for remote controls (they're the little LED in the part you point at your TV) and 'night-vision' cameras, and these little blue guys are high powered ones! They are 940nm wavelength, which is what nearly all devices listen to. They're 20 degree beamwidth, and work great for any kind of remote control application.
Adafruit used one of these to make a camera control footswitch/intervalometer. These are the same LEDs are used in Adafruit's super TV-B-Gone kit. You can drive them continuously (for 'night vision' illumination) with 100mA and for IR remote application they can take up to 1 Amp pulses (!). For high powered use, we suggest matching these up with Adafruit's power MOSFETs.
If you want to make a sender/receiver pair, you'll want to get an IR remote receiver sensor as well.
- 5mm LED
- 940nm wavelength (most common)
- 20 degree beam width
- 100 mA continuous, 1000 mA pulse
- Approx 1.6V forward voltage (check datasheet for range)
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.