LOLwut? NeoPixels in 5mm through-hole variety? Oh yes, Adafruit haz them! If you like NeoPixel strips you'll luv these 5mm diffused through-hole NeoPixels. All the single-pin-controlling-hundreds-of-LEDs goodness in a breadboard friendly format. Each LED looks just like a shorter version of the classic through-hole 5mm RGB LED with 4 legs, but instead of just red/green/blue there's a little chip inside that can control the LED with high speed PWM for 24-bit color.
These are the diffused type instead of the Neopixel Clear 5mm LEDs. They look a lot like the 8mm variety but are smaller.
Power them with 5V and chain them together, tying the Data-Out pin of one to the Data-in of the previous one in the chain. If you're using an Arduino, you can control these LEDs with Adafruit's wonderfully-written Neopixel library for Arduino. They also work great with Adafruit's Trinkets. Note that these are "RGB" instead of "GRB" format used in the 5050-sized LEDs you are so used to. Check in the NeoPixel example code for how to swap the colors automagically.
These great looking LEDs are also fast and responsive with a milky-diffusing lens for a soft look.
- Weight: 0.3g
- WS2812 Datasheet
- SK6812 Datasheet
- May ship with either WS2812B or SK6812-based LEDs. They are the same brightness, color and protocol
Adafruit don't have a datasheet for the LEDs themselves yet, see the photos above for the pinouts.
The leads are flexible. The spacing starts at 1.1mm (0.04") but Adafruit were able to bend them as needed.
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.