Your electronics can now see in dazzling color with this lovely color light sensor. Adafruit found the best color sensor on the market, the TCS34725, which has RGB and Clear light sensing elements. An IR blocking filter, integrated on-chip and localized to the color sensing photodiodes, minimizes the IR spectral component of the incoming light and allows color measurements to be made accurately. The filter means you'll get much truer color than most sensors, since humans don't see IR. The sensor also has an incredible 3,800,000:1 dynamic range with adjustable integration time and gain so it is suited for use behind darkened glass or fabric.
To make sure you get consistent color, Adafruit specified a nice neutral 4150°K temperature LED with a MOSFET driver onboard to illuminate what you're trying to sense. The LED can be easily turned on during sensing and turned off afterwards to save power.
Connect to a Flora via I2C and Adafruit's example code will quickly get you going with 4 channel readings. A detailed tutorial is in the works, till then, check out Adafruit's Arduino library and follow Adafruit's tutorial to install. Sew up the sensor by connecting 3V to 3V Flora output, Ground to common ground, SCL to I2C Clock and SDA to I2C Data on your Flora. All the pins line up and you can chain another sensor such as a lux sensor or accelerometer. Restart the IDE and select the example Flora sketch and start putting all your favorite fruit next to the sensor element!
Flora Color Sensor - TCS34725 (22:21)
- Weight: 0.39g
- Dimensions: 15.25mm / 0.6" x 15.25mm / 0.6" x 2.16mm / 0.08"
- This board/chip uses I2C 7-bit address 0x29
- Datasheets, EagleCAD PCB files, and Fritzing library available in the color sensor tutorial
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.