You can now create a dazzling display with your Raspberry Pi with the Adafruit RGB Matrix Bonnet. These boards plug into your Pi and makes it super easy to control RGB matrices such as those we stock in the shop and create a colorful scrolling display or mini LED wall with ease.
"Bonnet" boards work on any Raspberry Pi with a 40-pin GPIO header — Zero, Zero W/WH, Model A+, B+, Pi 2 and Pi 3. They do not work with older 26-pin boards like the original Model A or B. Note with the Pi Zero you may need to solder a header on the Pi board; it’s normally unpopulated on that model.
We also have an older, HAT version of our RGB Matrix design. The HAT version does not come fully assembled, does not support 1/32-scan matrices, but does come with a real time clock (RTC)
This bonnet will make your matrix projects super easy and avoids wiring complexity. Let me break it down for you:
- Simple design - plug in power, plug in IDC cable, run our Python code!
- Power protection circuitry - you can plug a 5V 4A wall adapter into the bonnet and it will automatically protect against negative, over or under-voltages! Yay for no accidental destruction of your setup.
- Onboard level shifters to convert the RasPi's 3.3V to 5.0V logic for clean and glitch free matrix driving
- Fully assembled compact design no soldering required! Plugs onto any Raspberry Pi with a 2x20 connector, and you're ready to glow.
Works with any of our 16x32, 32x32 or 32x64 RGB LED Matrices with HUB75 connections. You can also use 64x64 matrices by soldering a small jumper on the PCB. Want more lights? No problem, chain multiple matrices together for a longer display - we've only tested up to 32x128 but it works just fine. The bigger the display the harder it is on the Pi, so keep that in mind if you're using a lower-powered Pi Zero.
Please note: this Bonnet is only for use with HUB75 type RGB matrices. Not for use with NeoPixel, DotStar, or other 'addressable' LEDs.
Each order comes with a fully assembled and ready to go bonnet with all parts assembled. RGB Matrix is not included, please check out our fine selection
A 5V power supply is also required, not included, for power the matrix itself, the Pi cannot do it, to calculate the power, multiply the width of all the chained matrices * 0.12 Amps : A 32 pixel wide matrix can end up drawing 32*0.12 = 3.85A so pick up a 5V 4A power supply. We also stock 5V 10A power supplies. Actual power usage will vary with how many LEDs you light up at once.
Raspberry Pi not included (but we have 'em in the shop so pick one up, Zero, Model A+, B+, Pi 2 or Pi 3)
Product Dimensions: 66.2mm x 30.7mm x 17.2mm / 2.6" x 1.2" x 0.7"
Product Weight: 13.9g / 0.5oz
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.