There are a lot of devices out there that still communicate over RS232 but we bet your new laptop isn’t one of them. Don’t worry, though, we’ve got you covered. This 6ft converter plugs into your computer’s USB port and provides you with a DB-9 RSR232 connection. After installing the drivers onto your Windows, Mac or RedHat Linux system, the FTDI chipset inside the cable will enumerate as a COM port with a baud rate adjustable to whatever setup you want to connect to.
We were curious what made this cable work, so we tore one open and found that it’s simply an FTDI FT323 paired with a Zywyn ZT213 RS232 Transceiver. You can find the datasheets for those devices below as well as a link to the FTDI driver page. We’ve also uploaded a copy of the included drivers CD in zip format.
If you’re still trying to wrap your head around the world of USB cables, why not check out our USB Buying Guide?
- USB to RS232 Converter Cable
- Driver CD
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.