This USB cable adds a DB9 serial port to your computer or laptop. Works with MacOS X, Linux and Windows. Note that this provides (approximately) +-10V serial (RS232) not 5V serial (TTL), good for old devices like GPS, handhelds, programmers, etc with chunky DB9's on the side. Some cheaper RS232 cables 'cheat' and only give you 0-5V which wont work with some devices - this one has a true voltage doubler/inverter to make it more compatible.
These are tested and work great with bit-bang serial devises MiniPOVs, DASA programmers and Serial SpokePOV adapters - note that they are slow in comparison to hardware serial ports due to the high overhead of USB.
New! Adafruit just upgraded Adafruit's adapters to be way more awesome. They're now FTDI-chip based for better performance and reliability. The drivers are rock solid and available for pretty much every operating system you will run across. Even better, inside are three visible LEDs: a power LED (letting you know its plugged in and working) and RX/TX LEDs that you can use to help debug your connection. These are now Adafruit's favorite RS232 adapters!
Using Adafruit's older "gray" PL2303 converter? It comes with a CD but Adafruit strongly suggest using the most recent drivers from the Prolific Website if you're running windows and the 'fixed' driver for Mac OSX or the version for MacOS 64 bit. If you're using Windows 7 and you have issues, try the Prolific driver version 1.013
This is only for the older "PL2303" based converter!
- Cable Length: 1.37m / 54.25"
If you're having some issues with Win 7/8 driver installation, please try the following:
- start win 7 or win 8, click start menu, input CMD and run to start the command window. Type in the following command: bcdedit -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
- then input: bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
- then re-start computer, computer will go into testing mode, install the driver from the CD. When ready, run CMD againa and run input: bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
- then run: bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- Our recommendation on Breadboard Power Supplies
So, you’re looking for the right way to power your breadboard? You’ve found that your Arduino Uno just doesn’t quite have the juice to power up your circuit. It's likely that the microcontroller can output around 400mA when using th...
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
- Serial Monitoring with Tera Term
Monitoring what’s happening inside your microcontroller is an invaluable tool for prototyping and debugging. One of the best ways to do this is to send/receive data over a serial port. Most microcontrollers have a serial port that can output UA...
- Programming with USB-Serial Converters
Thanks to huge advancements in technology over the last decade, the maker community that we know and love has thrived. It’s now easier than ever before to get started with programming and tinkering due to the innovation from brands such as Ardu...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.