This cable is kinda fascinating - it has an integrated boost converter, so you can plug it into any USB port (from a computer, battery pack, etc) and it will give you a higher DC voltage! It's a handy way to power 9V powered devices with a center-positive 2.1mm DC barrel jack from a USB port. We also have a version that provides 12V, and if you just need a passthough cable, here's one for 5VDC.
These are rated at 500mA output, but you can go a little higher, Adafruit pulled 700mA and Adafruit got a little voltage droop but it worked fine. Probably best not to draw 700mA continuously though!
Here's Adafruit's measurements for various current draws when Adafruit set Adafruit's bench supply to provide a steady 5V voltage
- 50mA (9.0V output), 100mA, 90% efficiency
- 100ma (8.95), 205mA in, 87% efficiency
- 200ma (8.9V): 410mA in, 86% efficiency
- 300ma (8.8V): 620mA in, 85% efficiency
- 500ma (8.8V): 1060mA in, 83% efficiency
- 700ma (8.8V): 1550mA in, 80% efficiency
So, overall there's a 90% efficiency at low current draw that drops do about 80% at high current use. There's also a 3 mA quiescent current. Note that often times the USB port voltage can droop too, and in addition you may have power losses with any thin or low quality cables with high resistivity!
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
- Powering Portable Projects: Batteries
Want to make your project portable? We've put together a quick guide to get you up to speed on battery options and help you decide which batteries might be best for your project. Batteries are a whole different game to plug packs and benchtop power s...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.