Add another 8 pins to your microcontroller using a MCP23008 port expander. The MCP23008 uses two i2c pins (these can be shared with other i2c devices), and in exchange gives you 8 general purpose pins. You can set each of 8 pins to be input, output, or input with a pullup. There's even the ability to get an interrupt via an external pin when any of the inputs change so you don't have to keep polling the chip.
Use this chip from 2.7-5.5V (good for any 3.3V or 5V setup), and you can sink/source up to 20mA from any of the I/O pins so this will work for LEDs and such. Team it up with a high-power MOSFET if you need more juice. DIP package means it will plug into any breadboard or perfboard.
You can set the i2c address by tying the ADDR0-2 pins to power or ground, for up to 8 unique addresses. That means 8 chips can share a single i2c bus - that's 64 I/O pins!
Adafruit used this chip in Adafruit's SPI/i2c backpack and found it to be very reliable and easy to get up and running. Adafruit even have an Arduino library with example code written which will set pin state, read and write from individual pins, and set the pullups.
- This board/chip uses I2C 7-bit address between 0x20-0x27, selectable with jumpers
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.