Drown out the voices in your head with a bone conduction transducer! This incredible speaker does not have a moving cone like most speakers you've seen, instead, a small metal rod is wrapped with the voice coil. When current is pulsed through the coil, the magnetic field causes a piece of metal to expand and contract - if pressed against a flat surface or cavity it turns it into a speaker!
Often these size transducers are pressed up against the jaw or ear bone to turn the skull into a speaker cavity. The effect is a perfect quality sound that is coming from within your head that nobody else can hear. You can also press it against your elbow bone and stick a finger in your ear to hear the audio transmitted through your arm! Since no air is required, We've seen this kind of module covered in plastic so it can be used for waterproof 'underwater' headphones for swimmers. Other fun tricks you can try: press it against a table or wall to make a flat speaker, or at the end of a plastic cup to point sound in a particular direction.
If you plan to use the bone conduction transducer for prolonged direct contact with skin, Adafruit recommend that cover the transducer and wire connections with something like Sugru to prevent accidental shorting of driver current through the skin, due to sweat and electrolyte accumulation around the metal parts.
This transducer is lightweight and small and has 8 ohm impedence and should be run at about 1W. It pairs great with any of our audio amps such as the TS2012 breakout or MAX98306. Just connect it as you would any other speaker, Adafruit even have some wires pre-soldered on.
Bone Conductor Transducer with Wires - 8 Ohm 1 Watt (7:01)
- Dimensions: 14mm x 21.5mm / 0.6" x .8"
- Weight: 9.6g
- Power handling: 1 watt RMS/2 watt max
- Le: 1.26 mH
- Impedance: 8 ohm
- Re: 5.8 ohms
- Frequency response: 300-19,000 Hz (but will vary with what you use as the transducer surface)
- Fs: 1,600 Hz
- SPL: 90.1 dB 1W/1m (but will vary with what you use as the transducer surface)
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.