Decode nearly any kind of 1D (striped) barcode in your project using this adorable compact barcode scanner. Adafruit have looked all over for a small, light, low-power module that can be easily integrated. This OEM scanner has a little camera inside that takes 100 photos per second, instead of using a 'scanning mirror' assembly. This means its less likely to get damaged or out of alignment.
Please note: this is a camera-based not laser-based scanner - you'll have to hold it farther away than you usually do for laser-mirror scanners! Try 10cm/4" or more distance with the button held down.
This all in one module is the simplest Adafruit could find. On the end is just a USB cable, plug it into any computer (or microcomputer such as BeagleBone, Raspberry Pi, etc) and it will show up as an HID keyboard. When a barcode is scanned, the raw data is decoded, parity-checked and spit out as if they were typed on a keyboard.
Like all barcode scanners, you can do some basic configuration by powering it up and 'scanning' in special barcodes in the manual. For example you can change the delay between 'typed' characters, or what the terminating character, if any, should be. Check the download tab for the printable manual. If you'd like to set up the scanner to be different than the default, print it out on plain white paper and scan each 'configuration' code. The config will be saved to non-volatile memory so you only have to do it once.
This reader will read a wide variety of barcode standards. The most common ones such as CODE39 and UPC are supported out of the box. To enable some of the rarer standards, check the manual as you may have to 'scan configure' to enable it.
Barcode Reader/Scanner Modules (5:00)
- Light Source: Visible Red light 632nm LED
- Depth Of Field: 230mm @ 20mil/0.5mm, PCS90%
- Resolution: 5mil/0.127mm, PCS90%
- Ambient Light: 5000 Lux Max
- Voltage: DC +5V ±5%
- Power Consumption: 80mA
- Reading Indicator: Beeper
- Scan Rate: 100 scans/sec ±10%
- Operating Temp: 0 oC to 50 oC (32 oF to 122 oF)
- Storage Temp: -20 oC to 70 oC (-4 oF to 158 oF)
- Relative Humidity: 20% to 95%(Non-condensing)
- Mechanical Shock: 2000G, 0.7ms, 3 axes
- Interface: USB HID Keyboard
- Cable: Straight 5 ft.
- Connector: MOLEX 11P Pitch 1.25
- Weight: Approx. 0.56 oz(17 g)(w/o cable)
- Dimension: 44 mm W x 30 mm D x 19.2 mm H
- Mounting Hole Distance: 34mm / 1.3"
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
- Getting Hands-on with Sensors
What good is a robot if it can’t interact with the environment around it? Sensors are the backbone of almost every electronics project as they allow your program to make decisions based on external stimuli. We’ve got sensors for all kinds...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.