For precision temperature sensing, nothing beats a Platinum RTD. Resistance temperature detectors (RTDs) are temperature sensors that contain a resistor that changes resistance value as its temperature changes, basically a kind of thermistor. In this sensor, the resistor is actually a small strip of Platinum with a resistance of 100 ohms at 0°C, thus the name PT100. Compared to most NTC/PTC thermistors, the PT type of RTD is much most stable and precise (but also more expensive) PT100's have been used for many years to measure temperature in laboratory and industrial processes, and have developed a reputation for accuracy (better than thermocouples), repeatability, and stability.
This high-temperature PT100 sensor is equipped with an stainless steel shield is good for up to 550°C.
- Based on resistance measurement principles
- Resistor material is Platinum with a value of 100 ohm at temperature 0°C
- Platinum has a positive resistance temperature factor; resistance increases with rising temperature
- Resistance variation is a function of temperature: 0.385Ω/°C nominal
- High accuracy and stability compared to thermocouples, silicon-based temperature sensors, or thermistors
Each sensor comes with three wires. Two of the wires connect to either side of the platinum resistor like you'd expect. The third wire is also connected to one end of the PT100. If your RTD amplifier supports 3-wire sensors, it will drive the resistor with the first two wires, and measure the voltage differences so that it can subtract any voltage drop from the wires. If your RTD amplifier only has 2-wire support simply leave the third wire disconnected.
- Stainless steel tube: 4mm diameter by ~30mm long (size of stainless steel capsule may vary!)
- Cable is approx 1m / 100cm long
- Contains a PT100 temperature sensor
- Three wires with terminal prong ends
PT100 technical specs:
- Usable temperature range: -200 to 550°C (-328°F to +1,022°F)
- Uses 3-wire interface
- ±0.5°C Accuracy from -10°C to +85°C
Product Weight: 19.3g / 0.7oz
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
- Getting Hands-on with Sensors
What good is a robot if it can’t interact with the environment around it? Sensors are the backbone of almost every electronics project as they allow your program to make decisions based on external stimuli. We’ve got sensors for all kinds...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.