Get object/distance detection in your project using the low-cost HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Distance Module from Elegoo. Using the same principle as bats (Echo location), this module uses Trigger and Echo pin to send a signal and listen for it to be 'bounced back'. With a few lines of code you'll be detecting objects for your project. This module is the perfect option for detecting objects between 2cm-500cm in front of your project.
- Range - This module can detect objects between 2cm and 500cm in front of itself with an angle of 15 degrees either side.
- Accuracy - The readings of the module can be broken down into 0.3cm increments, which is plenty for most robotics projects
- Mounting - Used by many makers, in many projects, the 4 holes on the circuit board make for easy mounting into your project
- Software - As a favorite distance sensor, there are plenty of libraries and examples available to use with Arduino, Micro:bit, Raspberry Pi and other maker platforms.
- Distance calculation - Once it's wired up, you'll use the formula: distance = (traveltime/2) x speed of sound for a measurement in centimeters
How to use this Ultrasonic Distance Sensor
As this module is a 5V sensor, you can use it with almost any of the popular maker platforms (Arduino, micro:bit, etc). You'll simply need to wire the device up to your board and configure the trigger and echo pins as Output/Input pins respectively. Once you've got it configured correctly, use your code to take the Input reading from the Echo pin and plug it into the distance formula: distance = (traveltime/2) x speed of sound to get a distance reading.
It's really that easy. There's even a library for Arduino, NewPing, that makes the process even easier for you. We've written a pretty comprehensive guide on how you can use this module in your projects. It's guaranteed to get you up to speed as fast as possible.
- Power Supply :+5V DC
- Quiescent Current : <2mA
- Working Current: 15mA
- Effectual Angle: <15°
- Ranging Distance : 2cm – 400 cm/1″ – 13ft
- Resolution : 0.3 cm
- Measuring Angle: 30 degree
- Trigger Input Pulse width: 10uS
- Dimension: 45mm x 20mm x 15mm
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
- Getting Hands-on with Sensors
What good is a robot if it can’t interact with the environment around it? Sensors are the backbone of almost every electronics project as they allow your program to make decisions based on external stimuli. We’ve got sensors for all kinds...
- Arduino Tide Gauge
I used an Arduino and a US-100 ultrasonic sensor to make an extremely low-cost tide gauge. This project measures the tide by sensing the distance to water using a US-100 ultrasonic sensor. The device has a 3D printed base and uses a peanut butter jar to create a waterproof housing. The 3D printed base fits atop a PVC tube which acts as a stilling well to dampen wave effects. Timestamped data is logged to a mi...
- Water Tank Level Sensor
Imagine getting home from work, its winter, its cold. You have a shower to warm up and half way through your shower...... your water stops. You wrap a towel around yourself, remove the shampoo from your eyes and go out into the cold to swap the tanks as the water tank you were using had run dry. This was a common occurrence in my house......... but not anymore. Now I can keep visually see the level of water in my water tanks on m...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $9.95 for Express Post (Overnight for most of Australia, 2+ days for rural, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.