This cyber-tronic looking sensor hides a secret behind it's glimmering eye. Unlike most temperature sensors, this sensor measures infrared light bouncing off of remote objects so it can sense temperature without having to touch them physically. Simply point the sensor towards what you want to measure and it will detect the temperature by absorbing IR waves emitted. Because it doesn't have to touch the object it's measuring, it can sense a wider range of temperatures than most digital sensors: from -70°C to +380°C It takes the measurement over an 90-degree field of view so it can be handy for determining the average temperature of an area.
This sensor comes in an easy-to-use metal can. You can easily solder it or plug it into a breadboard. The four pins are used for power, ground, i2c clock and i2c data. There are two versions, one for 3V power and logic levels and one for 5V power and logic levels. This item is the 3V version! - good for use by most modern microcontrollers. You'll also want two 10K pull-up resistors for the I2C data lines, which Adafruit thoughtfully include.
Of course, Adafruit wouldn't just hand you a datasheet and wish you luck, Adafruit have written an easy-to-use tutorial & Arduino library with an example that will have you up and running in 5 minutes. The code can also be ported to any microcontroller with i2c support.
- Factory calibrated
- -40°C to +125°C for sensor temperature
- -70°C to +380°C for object temperature
- ±0.5°C accuracy around room temperatures
- High accuracy of 0.5°C over wide temperature
- 90° Field of view
- 2.7 to 3.6V power
- I2C interface, 0x5A is the fixed 7-bit address
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.