This is a Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer battery charger based on the MCP73833. It uses a USB mini-B for connection to any computer or 'USB wall adapter'. Charging is performed in three stages: first a preconditioning charge, then a constant-current fast charge and finally a constant-voltage trickle charge to keep the battery topped-up. The fast-charge current is 500mA by default, but is easily adjustable from 100mA up to 1000mA by soldering a through-hole resistor on-board.
This board is great for DIY projects because it has 3 indicator LEDs - one for power, one for charging status and a third that indicates when charging is complete. Keep the battery connected to the charger and pass power through the additional JST connector using the included cable!
For use with Adafruit Lipoly batteries only! Other batteries may have different voltage, chemistry, polarity or pinout.
- Comes assembled and tested, includes a JST cable!
- 5V input via mini-B USB connector
- For charging single Lithium Ion/Lithium Polymer 3.7/4.2v batteries (not for older 3.6/4.1v cells)
- 500mA charge current, adjustable from 100mA to 1000mA by soldering in a resistor
- Separate JST connectors for battery and load system so batteries don't have to be removed for charging
- Chip supports a 10K NTC thermistor which Adafruit have stuffed as a plain 10K. For people who require temperature monitors (using high charge rates), remove the 10K and solder in the thermistor in its place
- 0.1" (2.54mm) breakouts for the battery, DC, and status LEDs
- Free 2-pin JST cable included!
- Batteries and USB cable not included.
- Dimensions: 33mm x 35mm x 7mm (1.3in x 1.4in x 0.3in)
- Weight: 5.7g ( 0.2oz)
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- How to use Solar LiPO Chargers
Every day, Solar energy bombards Earth with about 173,000 terawatts of power. That's close to the yearly electricity bill for Planet Earth. Solar energy is free power from the stars. So the question stands, why aren't we using it more? Price and spac...
- Powerboost your LiPo Batteries
We're going to pick up where the LiPo Battery tutorial left off and look closer at the Adafruit Powerboost modules for charging your LiPos. We talked about the rules of using these batteries and how to make sure you don't set your project a light whe...
- Powering Portable Projects: Batteries
Want to make your project portable? We've put together a quick guide to get you up to speed on battery options and help you decide which batteries might be best for your project. Batteries are a whole different game to plug packs and benchtop power s...
- Our tips for using LiPo Batteries
Lithium Polymer (abbreviated LiPo) batteries are one of the most useful cells we see used in electronics. Typically used in mobile phones, RC models, and other small electrical appliances; their flat, pouch-like package design makes them perfect for ...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.