As of October 12th, 2015 this product now ships with an Adafruit Trinket with a micro-USB plug.
One of the most popular Trinket projects now has its own kit pack! Make your very own programmable NeoPixel goggles with 2 x 16 LED rings and an Adafruit Trinket. It even comes with a rechargeable LiPoly battery and charger. It's a great easy build and when you're done you'll have the coolest accessory.
Follow along with Adafruit's popular Kaleidoscope Eyes tutorial. The pack contains almost everything you need to put a pair of NeoPixel Rings in Adafruit's costume goggles and power them with an Adafruit Trinket. The LED rings fit perfectly inside 50mm round goggles and Adafruit include a 3.7v 150mAh battery and and Micro Lipo charger so you can run the battery and charge it all while contained in the goggles themselves.
These are fairly easy to put together and should take around an hour to make. You'll need some basic soldering and hand tools to install the JST connector on the bottom side of the Trinket and connect your NeoPixel rings. We don't include a soldering iron or solder but sell them in the Adafruit store and you can find epoxy or hot glue at most hardware/craft stores. The soldering is easy and is possible to do by beginners, its a 1-2 hour project (30 minutes if you are a kit-making expert!) Check the tutorial page to see what you'll need to complete the project!
You'll also need a classic USB Micro B cable to program the Trinket, Adafruit don't include it as people tend to have too many USB cables in their desk drawer, but if you need one, you can get it from Adafruit here.
Please note! They look great, but Adafruit don't recommend putting the goggles over your eyes when they're all lit up since the lights can be bright and the goggle lenses can be hard to see out of. However, the goggles work great for costumes/accessories when they're put on top of your forehead!
- WS2812 Datasheet
- SK6812 Datasheet
- May ship with either WS2812B or SK6812-based LEDs. They are the same brightness, color and protocol
This pack includes:
- 6" inches of Rainbow Ribbon Cable
- 1x Adafruit Trinket - Mini Microcontroller - 5V Logic
- 1x Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 150mAh
- 1x Adafruit Micro Lipo - USB LiIon/LiPoly charger - v1
- 1x JST-PH 2-Pin SMT Right Angle Connector
- 2x NeoPixel Ring - 16 x 5050 RGB LED with Integrated Drivers
- 1x Costume Goggles
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.