Make a scrolling sign, or a small video display with this 8x8 gridded bi-color LED matrix. Only 1.2" on a side, it is quite visible but not so large it wont plug into a breadboard! 128 LEDs are contained in the plastic body, 64 red 320mcd and 64 green, in an 8x8 matrix. Every grid has two LEDs inside so you can have it display red, green, yellow or with fast multiplexing any color in between. This display is bright, beautiful and funky with nice diffused square lenses for a striking look. There are 24 pins on the side, 12 on each, with 0.1" spacing so you can easily plug it into a breadboard with one row on each side for wiring it up.
Since the display is in a grid, you'll need to 1:8 multiplex control it. We suggest either using two 74HC595s and TPIC6B595 (using the 74HC' to control the 16 anodes at once and then using the TPIC' to drive one cathode at a time) or using two MAX7219 which will do the multiplexing work for you.
The Arduino playground has a nice set of tutorials introducing the MAX7219 and 8x8 LED matrices
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.