Micro:bit by BBC has become the heart of countless creative digital technology projects around the world and a trusted educational learning system. This tiny programmable platform teaches through invention. Learn to code, design animated LED games, interface with sensors, all on the one board. Micro:bit users have full access to the BBC micro:bit website where fresh lesson plans are shared along with tutorials and tips for everyone be you educators, parents, workshop coordinators or just an aspiring maker.
The Micro:bit is easy to code with, all you need is your web browser and a micro USB cable and you are ready to start all kinds of exciting STEM/STEAM experiments, no need for any extra software to be installed.
Micro:bit has also developed a mobile app for coding over Bluetooth (without a USB cable), that makes it even easier to get everyone coding with hardware.
Techs and Specs
- 32-bit ARM Cortex-M0 CPU
- 256KB Flash
- 16KB RAM
- 5x5 Red LED Array
- Two Programmable Buttons
- Onboard Light, Compass, Accelerometer and Temp Sensors
- BLE Smart Antenna
- Three Digital/Analog Input/Output Rings
- Two Power Rings — 3V and GND
- 20-pin Edge Connector
- MicroUSB Connector
- JST-PH Battery Connector (Not JST-XH)
- Reset Button with Status LED
Important: The micro:bit does not include any cables or power sources. This is just the board. We recommend picking up a micro USB cable as well to power your board. If you want to build some can also grab some alligator clips so you start building circuits with the GPIO connectors.
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- Micro:bit Light and UV Sensing
Every Micro:bit has the ability to measure visible light, but what about UV light? Imagine that you are growing a plant on the window sill in a well-lit room. Does your plant have enough light? Plants need UV light to photosynthesize energy, som...
- Micro:bit Soil Moisture Sensor
The Micro:bit is great for small portable projects like a soil moisture sensor. In this tutorial, we will walk through how to program a Micro:bit to make a reliable and consistent soil moisture sensor that will give consistent readings. The goal of t...
- MicroPython Primer for Makers - What is MicroPython?
This Tutorial is all about the MicroPython Programming Language. We will discuss what MicroPython is, why you will want to use it in your projects and we will share some resources to help you learn further! What is MicroPython? MicroPython is an ...
- Data Logging with the Micro:bit and OpenLog
The Micro:bit by BBC is a great data collection tool, it just needs a little help remembering what it has measured! This tutorial is made for those Micro:bit projects where transmitting your sensor data over radio or Bluetooth to a computer just won&...
- Natural Disaster Sensor Project for Micro:bit
The Micro:bit is a feature-packed development board that’s perfect for the classroom or the beginner programmer. Each Micro:bit has a built-in radio that can transmit and receive signals sent from other Micro:bits. The radio has a range of up t...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $9.95 for Express Post (Overnight for most of Australia, 2+ days for rural, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.