Because you can program the same board in 3 different ways - the Express has great value and re-usability. From beginners to experts, Circuit Playground Express has something for everyone. If you are looking for Adafruit's original, Arduino-only Circuit Playground, check out the Circuit Playground Classic.
The board is round and has alligator-clip pads around it so you don't have to solder or sew to make it work. You can power it from USB, a AAA battery pack, or with a Lipoly battery (for advanced users). Circuit Playground Express has built-in USB support. Built in USB means you plug it in to program it and it just shows up, no special cable or adapter required. Just program your code into the board then take it on the go!
Parts to make wearable and sewable electronics:
- 1 x Stainless Thin Conductive Thread - 2 ply - 23 meter/76 ft for sewing wearable projects
- 1 x Needle set - 3/9 sizes - 20 needles
- 1 x Sewable Snaps - 5mm Diameter - Card of 24
- 1 x Magnetic Pin Back
Parts to make breadboard, paper-craft, or clip-on electronics and sensors:
- 1 x Copper Foil Tape with Conductive Adhesive - 6mm x 15 meter roll
- 1 x Small Alligator Clip Test Lead (set of 18)
- 1 x Small Alligator Clip to Male Jumper Wire Bundle - 6 Pieces
Extra RGB and multicolor LEDs, and two motors:
- 2 x Micro Servo - make your own little robots!
- 1 x Flora RGB Smart NeoPixel version 2 - Pack of 4
- 1 x Adafruit LED Sequins - Multicolor Pack of 5
Two ways to power your projects, AAA's for smaller and lighter builds and AA's for when you want to blink all night long!
- 1 x JST-PH Battery Extension Cable - 500mm - Extension cables for the battery holders
- 1 x 3x AAA Battery Holder with On/Off Switch, JST, and Belt Clip
- 3 x Alkaline AAA batteries
- 1 x 3x AA Battery Holder with On/Off Switch, JST, and Belt Clip
- 3 x Alkaline AA batteries
And plenty of storage for projects and parts:
- 2 x Mini Storage Box
- 1 x AdaBot LunchBox!
Here's some of the great goodies baked in to each Circuit Playground Express:
- 10 x mini NeoPixels, each one can display any color
- 1 x Motion sensor (LIS3DH triple-axis accelerometer with tap detection, free-fall detection)
- 1 x Temperature sensor (thermistor)
- 1 x Light sensor (phototransistor). Can also act as a color sensor and pulse sensor.
- 1 x Sound sensor (MEMS microphone)
- 1 x Mini speaker with class D amplifier (7.5mm magnetic speaker/buzzer)
- 2 x Push buttons, labeled A and B
- 1 x Slide switch
- Infrared receiver and transmitter - can receive and transmit any remote control codes, as well as send messages between Circuit Playground Expresses. Can also act as a proximity sensor.
- 8 x alligator-clip friendly input/output pins
- Includes I2C, UART, 8 pins that can do analog inputs, multiple PWM output
- 7 pads can act as capacitive touch inputs and the 1 remaining is a true analog output
- Green "ON" LED so you know its powered
- Red "#13" LED for basic blinking
- Reset button
- ATSAMD21 ARM Cortex M0 Processor, running at 3.3V and 48MHz
- 2 MB of SPI Flash storage, used primarily with CircuitPython to store code and libraries.
- MicroUSB port for programming and debugging
- USB port can act like serial port, keyboard, mouse, joystick or MIDI!
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- Circuit Playground Express Workshop for Educators and Beginners
Welcome to the Circuit Playground Express Workshop! This workshop is geared toward educators and coding beginners, who want to get started programming with this easy to use platform. We will go over everything you need to know to get you started prog...
- 3D Printing for the Circuit Playground
You’ve made yourself a great project for your Circuit Playground Express, now all you need is a box to put it in. How do you keep your Circuit Playground safe in a housing while still being able to press the buttons and use the sensors? Design ...
- Introducing MakeCode: Adafruit Circuit Playground Express
One of the greatest features of the Adafruit Circuit Playground Express is its MakeCode compatibility. MakeCode is an exciting coding interface that makes coding accessible for those with little or no exposure to how coding works or how it should be ...
- CircuitPython vs MicroPython: Key Differences
Have you ever wanted to program your microcontrollers with Python instead of Arduino? MicroPython and CircuitPython bring the ease of Python to microcontrollers by adding hardware support! In MicroPython, Python is largely unchanged other than the ad...
- Natural Disaster Sensor Project with Circuit Playground Express
There is some wild weather approaching! We need a way to give ourselves an early warning when a disaster strikes! In this project, we will use the Adafruit Circuit Playground Express to make an all in one Disaster Detection Station that will detect e...
- Using the Accelerometer with CircuitPython: Adafruit Circuit Playground Express
At the heart of every Adafruit Circuit Playground Express lies a three-axis accelerometer. This allows us to write programs that take the orientation of the board into account. We can detect orientation and acceleration on any axis. With CircuitPytho...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $9.95 for Express Post (Overnight for most of Australia, 2+ days for rural, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.