The Snake Eyes Bonnet is a Raspberry Pi accessory for driving two 128x128 pixel OLED or TFT LCD displays, and also provides four analog inputs for sensors. It's perfect for making cosplay masks, props, spooky sculptures for halloween, animatronics, robots...anything where you want to add a pair of animated eyes!
This product is just the Pi Bonnet itself, and some headers so you can plug it into a Pi. While it will work with any Raspberry Pi with a 2x20 Header (Pi B+, Pi 2, Pi 3, Pi Zero, etc) you'll get best performance from a Pi 3 since we do some heavy duty OpenGL rendering!
This product doesn't include two displays or connector cables! You'll want 1 or 2 of either the Adafruit 1.44" TFT Breakout or the Adafruit 1.5" OLED Breakout. The OLED looks better with higher contrast and viewing angle, but is more expensive. You'll also want a bunch of 12" F-F jumper cables to connect your displays. Soldering is required to attach headers onto the Bonnet and displays, so make sure you have a soldering iron, solder and some basic hand tools.
It’s a follow-on of sorts to another project: Electronic Animated Eyes Using Teensy 3.2. The Teensy 3.2 is a very capable microcontroller, and the code for that project squeezed every bit of space and performance from it. We had been experimenting with the Raspberry Pi as an alternative…while it’s still very experimental, why not make that work available to others?
The Raspberry Pi offers some potential benefits:
- Hardware-accelerated 3D graphics (OpenGL), including antialiasing.
- A faster CPU, ample RAM and dual SPI buses could yield faster frame rates.
- Standard graphics formats like JPEG, PNG and SVG can be decoded on the fly; no preprocessing step.
- The eye rendering code is written in a high-level language — Python — making it easier to customize.
If you want a smaller, if less powerful version, check out the original Teensy Eyes! They are more “Arduino-like” to build and customize, or other guides like Animating Multiple LED Backpacks provide a more approachable introduction to code and electronics with less of an investment.
Raspberry Pi, displays, and jumper wire not included!
Product Dimensions: 66.0mm x 30.0mm x 2.0mm / 2.6" x 1.2" x 0.1"
Product Weight: 6.3g / 0.2oz
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.