Thermocouples are best used for measuring temperatures that can go above 100 °C. This is a bare wires bead-probe which can measure air or surface temperatures. Most inexpensive thermocouples have a vinyl covering which can melt at around 200 °C, this one uses a fiberglass braid so it can be used in high temperature measurements such as heaters and ovens. There's a small piece of heat shrink on the end to keep the fiberglass from fraying. If you're using at >250°C temperatures, simply remove it with a small blade.
- K type thermocouple with glass over-braiding
- Good up to 500 °C (900 °F)!
- Color-coded wires
- 1 meter long (a little more than 3 feet)
- Best used with a thermocouple amplifier such as the MAX6675 or MAX31855
Adafruit have a handy tutorial which covers thermocouple use including an Arduino library and example code!
Please note: Adafruit seem to have gotten a few thermocouples that have the red&yellow wires color-coded wrong. It will not damage the thermocouple or sensor if the wires are connected backwards, but temperature readings will go the 'wrong way' so if you find that the temperature is dropping when you heat up the sensor, try flipping the wires!
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
- Getting Hands-on with Sensors
What good is a robot if it can’t interact with the environment around it? Sensors are the backbone of almost every electronics project as they allow your program to make decisions based on external stimuli. We’ve got sensors for all kinds...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.