How it works
Motor rotation is transferred to the legs via crank plates and linkage rods, causing the Mechanical Beetle to walk forwards or backwards at one of two selectable speeds. A linkage rod connected to the beetle’s front right leg swings its horn left and right as the beetle walks. When it bumps into an obstacle, the beetle automatically turns to avoid it and continues walking. Because of this behavior, the beetle can provide amusement by simply running around in a small, enclosed space. The body is made from a transparent green ABS resin that allows you to see all of the motors, gears, cranks, and linkage rods in action.
- Total length: 195 mm
- Total weight: 110 g (without batteries)
- Body material: ABS resin
- 2 possible different speeds.
- Gearbox, motor, and control switch are included.
- Requires one AA (a.k.a. R6 or UM3) battery (not included).
- Continuous running time with Alkaline battery: 3hrs. at low speed / 2hrs. at high speed
Note: This is a kit. Assembly requires using a screwdriver and snapping parts together. No soldering is required. Run on flat, smooth surfaces; avoid running over slopes, on bumpy roads, or on thick carpet.
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.