The Tamiya 3-speed crank-axle gearbox is essentially half of the twin-motor gearbox. The kit comes with enough parts so you can built the gearbox in any of three gear ratios (17:1, 58:1, and 204:1).
- 70093 3-speed crank-axle gearbox — This gearbox is solid gray and comes packaged in a box.
- 89914 3-speed crank-axle gearbox — This gearbox is clear and comes packaged in plastic bag.
The output shafts included in this kit are 3 mm hexagonal axles that are 10 cm (about four inches) from tip to tip. The axles work with any of the Tamiya wheels Pololu carry, giving you many options for your robot speed. The low-voltage motors run on 3-6 volts and draw up to a few amps, making them perfect candidates for the Pololu low-voltage dual serial motor controller and the DRV8833 motor driver carrier. Motor overheating can be caused by excessive stalling, even at very low voltages. Pololu recommend that you use stall-detection sensors, or just watch your robot, to make sure that it doesn’t stall for more than a few seconds at a time. For motor specs, see the Mabuchi motor FA-130 (#18100) data sheet (58k pdf).
Note that you can replace the motor in this kit with a lower-current, higher-voltage motor if you want to use this gearbox with controllers such as the qik 2s9v1 dual serial motor controller, TB6612FNG dual motor driver carrier, or Baby Orangutan B-328 robot controller.
To compare all Tamiya gear box kits, see the Tamiya Gearbox Gear Ratio Comparison.
Note: The 3-speed crank-axle gearbox is a kit; assembly is required. To use the kit in robotics projects, you need to connect the motors to your own robot controller.
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.