The SparkFun MAX31855K Thermocouple Breakout is a simple 14-bit resolution, SPI-compatible, serial interface thermocouple digitizer that makes reading a wide range of temperatures possible. A thermocouple works by taking two wires made of dissimilar metals, connecting them at the two ends, and making a temperature gradient between one end and the other (a ‘hot’ end and a ‘cold’ one). Once this is achieved, a voltage potential is formed and current flows. The SparkFun Thermocouple Breakout takes a standard Type-K thermocouple in one end, digitizes the temperature measured and sends that data out the other end via a SPI interface, thereby interpreting the data and translating it for you to read!
With the SparkFun Thermocouple Breakout, the thermocouple’s hot junction can be read from -200°C to +700°C with an accuracy of ±2°C while the cold junction, inside the MAX31855K, can only range from -20°C to +85°C while maintaining ±2°C accuracy. The MAX31855K constantly measures the temperature of the cold junction using an internal temperature-sensing diode. The MAX31855K requires a power source from +3.0V to +3.6V (+3.0V nominal) and only draws 1.5mA maximum.
The Thermocouple Breakout is designed to accept a standardthermocouple connector, for convenience and compatibility with probes you may already own. These connectors aren’t necessary, and you could solder a thermocouple directly into the through holes labeled ‘+’ and ‘-’. If you decide to solder the thermocouple directly to the breakout board, it is recommended that the thermocouple be mounted for strain relief to avoid breaking the thin wires. Notches for a zip-tie or wire wrapping have been provided in the PCB opposite the header for this purpose.
- 14-bit Resolution
- SPI-Compatible, Serial Interface
- -200°C to +700°C Temperature Reading with ±2°C Accuracy
- 3.0V to 3.6V (+3.0V nominal) Required
- Accepts Type-K Thermocouple
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.