The MakeBlock Ranger is a three-in-one, bluetooth connected robotics platform that comes complete with everything you need to assemble and code it on day-one. In it's default configuration it looks exactly like a tank, and can traverse around most environments easily. You can reassemble it in different ways (3 guided experiences, but you can get creative). The 3 configurations are pictured above:
- Off-Road Land Rover Tank
- Dashing Raptor 3-Wheeled Predator
- Self-Balancing Robot
All in all, this robot is bound to impress. It's clean-cut anodized aluminium frame and professionally made parts and accessories will bring a smile to your face.
- Multiple configurations out of the box - It's a robotics kit that you assemble out of the box. There are 3 different default options in the instructions, but you can be as creative as you like.
- Sensors galore - The Ranger comes with an Ultrasonic Sensor (the eyes of the robot above), a line-sensor (positioned under the chassis), a light sensor, a sound sensor, a gyroscope and a temperature sensor. Plenty to work with! Oh, and you even get a buzzer that you can program for feedback.
- Expandable - MakeBlock is an entire ecosystem of parts, sensors and add-on packs. You can keep the magic alive by getting some additional sensors to plug into the main controller and add them into the code with ease.
- Arduino at Heart - The mainboard is built on the Mega2560, the most popular controller board for most maker robotics platforms. It's got plenty of in-built sensor connections too (16 total)
- App compatible - MakeBlocks HD app is available for free on all major platforms (Windows, Apple, iOS, Android, etc) and gives you a simple way to connect and code your Ranger.
- Easy wiring - The sensors and motors included (as well as expansion options) all use the same RJ25 connector. Simply plug-n-plag to the mainboard.
- Battery Powered - You won't need to have multiple cables connected, this robot runs on battery power making it completely portable (and useful!)
In the mBot Ranger kit you receive
Comparison of the mBot and mBot Ranger
Makeblock have a range of robot kits for all budding engineers and roboticists. We've thrown together this quick and easy reference for the differences between the mBot and Ranger.
|Main Control Chip||Arduino Mega 2560||Arduino Uno|
|Extension Ports||10 motor/sensor ports||4 sensor ports|
|On-Board Sensor||6 x sensors, include:
|3 x sensors, include:
|Smartphone App||Under development||mBot app|
- Software and programming : PC-mBlock; iPad/Tablet - Makeblock Arduino IDE
- Main Control Board : Arduino Mega 2560, 256KB flash memory, 8KG SRAM, 4KB EEPROM
- Sensor : 2 x Light sensor, 1 x Sound sensor, 1 x Gyroscope, 1 x Temperature sensor, 1 x Ultrasonic sensor, 1 x Line follower
- Speaker : 1 x Buzzer
- Battery : 6 x AA battery (not included)
- Motor : 2 x 400 RPM Encoder Motor
- Wireless Communication : Bluetooth/2.4G
- Dimensions : 200 x 165 x 120mm (7.78 x 6.49 x 4.71inch) Max.
- Weight : 1600g (56.44oz)
What to do if you need help with your MakeBlock Ranger
We're a team full-time maker's located in the heart of Newcastle, NSW and we've got plenty of touch time with the MakeBlock gear. If you need any assistance in getting your MakeBlock up and running, simply get in touch with us. We're here to help!
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- Our Overview of Makeblock's Ranger Robotics Kit
Now that we've taken a look at MakeBlock's beginner kit, the mBot (take a look at the previous article here), let's take our skills to the next level with the Ranger. The Ranger adds much more modularity and customisation to the kit. From extra sense...
- An Introduction to Makeblock
Makeblock is a company with education at the forefront of its priorities. They introduce mechanical design, and software development to robotics in a way analogous to Lego, that is to say, they aim to educate the student by encouraging creativity in ...
- Micro:bit Light and UV Sensing
Every Micro:bit has the ability to measure visible light, but what about UV light? Imagine that you are growing a plant on the window sill in a well-lit room. Does your plant have enough light? Plants need UV light to photosynthesize energy, som...
- Micro:bit Soil Moisture Sensor
The Micro:bit is great for small portable projects like a soil moisture sensor. In this tutorial, we will walk through how to program a Micro:bit to make a reliable and consistent soil moisture sensor that will give consistent readings. The goal of t...
- Our Overview of Makeblock mBot
Looking for the best way to get into robotics? Checkout Makeblock's mBot. This all in one robot is the perfect introduction to basic robotics, with its simple yet robust design, mBot is built with education in mind. The mBot kits modular design ...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $9.95 for Express Post (Overnight for most of Australia, 2+ days for rural, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.