EL panel is the big sister to EL wire - it has the same glow effect but with a flat shape instead of a round shape. This is a big sheet of flexible plastic coated with EL material so its like one big glowing square. It emits an even glow over the entire shape. The glowing part of the panel is 10 cm x 10 cm (approx: 4" x 4"). There's a plastic coating is about 10.4cm x 10.4cm. Its covered in what seems to be PVC, the tape is thus weather-proof - but note that the connectors are NOT waterproof, just a bit of heatshrink. This isn't something Adafruit would suggest leaving outdoors for extended periods.
You can attach it by sewing through the clear plastic edging, or gluing the back to a flat surface. It is flexible but will crease and damage if folded. You can cut the panel up as long as the shape you cut out is continuous and has the JST cable attached.
This panel is a blue-green/aqua color when lit and is the brightest of the panels as it is the 'natural' color of EL panel
Like all EL products, an inverter is REQUIRED to operate the panel Because EL tape has more surface area than wire, it requires a more powerful inverter. We suggest you use Adafruit's 4xAAA inverter which is strong enough to power a single panel at once - plug it in and turn it on! For more permanent installations, the 12V EL inverter can also power a single panel and run off 8xAA batteries or a wall adapter.
Please note! EL tape, EL wire and EL panel are made with different processes and so the color and brightness will not be consistent between the two: aqua tape, aqua wire and aqua panels will not necessarily match!
- Glow Size: 10 cm x 10 cm (3.95" x 3.95")
- Plastic Size: 10.4 cm x 10.4 cm (4.1" x 4.1"), about 0.5mm thick
- Panel lifetime: >25000 hours
- Operating voltage: 60-250VAC
- Operating Frequency: 50-5000HZ
- Current Draw: 0.14mA/cm2 (max) @ 110V / 400Hz
- Initial Brightness: 85 cd/m2
- Operating Temperature: -50 C / 65 C
- 45 nF per panel
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.