Thermocouples are very sensitive, requiring a good amplifier with a cold-compensation reference. Adafruit have a couple digital thermocouple amplifiers in the shop already from Maxim. Now Adafruit are happy to introduce an excellent analog-output amplifier. This is a very simple sensor to use, and if your microcontroller has analog input capability, you'll be ready to go really fast!
The AD8495 K-type thermocouple amplifier from Analog Devices is so easy to use, Adafruit documented the whole thing on the back of the tiny PCB. Power the board with 3-18VDC and measure the output voltage on the OUT pin. You can easily convert the voltage to temperature with the following equation: Temperature = (Vout - 1.25) / 0.005 V. So for example, if the voltage is 1.5VDC, the temperature is (1.5 - 1.25) / 0.005 = 50°C
Each order comes with a 2 pin terminal block (for connecting to the thermocouple), a fully assembled PCB with the AD8495 + TLVH431 1.25V precision voltage reference, and pin header (to plug into any breadboard or perfboard). Goes great with Adafruit's 1m K-type thermocouple (not included). Not for use with any other kind of thermocouple, K type only!
- Works with any K type thermocouple
- Will not work with any other kind of thermocouple other than K type
- Easy to use analog output
- Temp range with 5V power: -250°C to +750°C output (0 to 5VDC)
- Temp range with 3.3V power: -250°C to +410°C output (0 to 3.3VDC)
- Sensing Accuracy Range: ± 1°C around room temperature, ± 2°C for −25°C to +400°C
- Sensing Temperature Max: 400°C
- Sensing Temperature Min: -25°C
- Supply Voltage: 3-18VDC
- AD8495 Datasheet
- EagleCAD PCB files on GitHub
- Fritzing object in Adafruit Fritzing Library
- 20mm x 16mm x 2mm / 0.8" x 0.6" x 0.08"
- Weight: 1.1g
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.