Our extremely popular easy to use RF serial data module with great range and XBee style pin layout. The XRF has now had over an equivalent of 40 million hours of run time in the field, quite staggering for something so affordable.
Provides an out-of-the-box wireless RF serial connection without any need for programming or end-user configuration, when we say plug them in and go, we mean it, they transfer serial data transparently without requiring any initial config.
Operates in the ISM bands (868 to 915 MHz) and that means it has a greater range than Bluetooth, WiFi or Zigbee sytle 2.4 GHz units that sport the same footprint (those things sold by Digi). That means it goes through more walls and reaches further. We have had reports of customers sending data over more than 3 KM using the standard supplied whip antennas outside. You should expect 500m + on the standard antenna.
Comes pre-loaded with firmware which enables the XRF to interwork with all other Ciseco RF modules, without any programming or configuration. You provide data one end and it appears on the other. All data packetisation, data checking, etc. is all done for you.
Makes use of Texas Instruments’ CC1110, a low-power System-on-Chip, which sports a micro-controller unit (MCU), memory, a sub-1GHz transceiver, and an encryption engine.
Ciseco provide a series personalities that can be used to specialise an XRF so it can become a dedicated sensor or actuator that communicates using Ciseco’s LLAP, a protocol that is as easy to understand as a text message or sending a tweet.
We have a range of sensors, actuators, support boards, Arduino shields, and Raspberry Pi add-on boards that when fitted with an XRF become wireless nodes in a Ciseco powered internet of things.
• 2mm pin spacing the same as the XBee
• Just 4 connections needed for transparent serial data mode (PWR, GND, RX, TX)
• Supports network identifier PANID for communications into separate networks if desired
• Facilitates remote Arduino/Xino over-the-air programming
• Can be programmed in its own right (requires a TI cc debugger and a lot of experience in C)
• Supports serial bootloading (firmware updates without a hardware programmer and using just RX/TX lines)
• 5v tolerant data lines (can be used with a 5v micro without level conversion)
• Acts in most serial applications as a drop in replacement for series 1 XBees
• Made in the UK
• Low power wireless applications operating in the 868 and 915 MHz ISM/SRD bands
• Industrial monitoring and control
• Wireless sensor networks
• Wireless alarm and security systems
• Automatic meter reading
• Home and building automation
• Low power telemetry
LIMITATION TO USE
The XRF is not recommended or authorized for use in life support, surgical implantation, nuclear or aircraft applications or for any use or application in which the failure of a single component could cause substantial harm to persons or property.
• Dimensions: 29mm x 25mm x 9mm (with antenna attached)
• 2 x 10 pin 2mm pitch layout
• Over the air data rate of 250Kbps with a max of 500Kbps
• Baud rate selectable up to 115200 baud
• Streaming serial throughput of around 70Kbps
• 868 and 915 MHz ISM/SRD bands (can support 315, 433, 900 MHz)
• Up to 10dBm (10 mW) power output
• Low current consumption (RX: 24mA; TX: 36mA @ -10dBm output power)
• 123 μA in sleep mode; 0.2 μA in deep sleep mode
If you need to ask questions, please do on the forum at Openmicros.org.
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.