Help! This patient is heating up! Is the voltage too low? Is the current draw too high? Is there a doctor in the house? Oh, thank goodness, the Charger Doctor is here! Right on time...Doctor, can you tell Adafruit what the current draw is? What about the voltage? Thanks to the Doctor, you will now be able to watch and care for your USB-powered projects.
Use the USB Charger Doctor to measure the working voltage and current output for any USB port and project. This blue plastic dongle plugs between a USB device, and passes the data lines through. There's a 0.05 ohm resistor in line with the power pin that is used to measure current draw. The Doctor's digital display instantly reads the numbers out for testing devices such as chargers, cables, and cell phones.
You can use this device from 3.5-7VDC input voltage (although most USB devices tend to hover around 4.75 to 5.25) and up to 3A of current. It flips between voltage and current readouts every 3 seconds or so. It's a very handy tool for testing USB devices, checking load levels and debugging battery chargers and boost converters. It's a little chunkier, but more numerical than Adafruit's USB Power Gauge Mini-Kit. It's also not open source so check out the USB Power Gauge mini kit if you want to hack together your own power gauge indicator.
- 21mm x 53mm x 15mm / 0.8" x 2.1" x 0.6"
- USB Plug: 13mm / 0.5"
- Weight: 16.2g
- USB 1.x and 2.x - all data speeds. Does not have USB v3 pins so USB v3 connections will automatically downgrade to v2
- Working Range: 0~3A, 3.5~7VDC
- Resolution: 10mV / 10mA
- Operating Temperature: 0-60ºC
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.