Add a really small printer to any microcontroller project with this very cute thermal printer. Thermal printers are also known as receipt printers, they're what you get when you go to the ATM or grocery store. Now you can embed a little printer of your own into an enclosure. This printer is ideal for interfacing with a microcontroller or computer, as you just plug it in via USB or TTL Serial to print text, barcodes, bitmap graphics, even a QR code!
This package comes with a Mini Thermal Receipt Printer, a USB cable, a JST cable, and a 4-pin TTL cable. One 33' roll of thermal paper is also included! The printer uses very common 2.25" wide thermal paper, and it can fit up to 33 ft of paper in the bay at once with a diameter of ≤ 30mm. The 33' long, 2.25" wide Thermal Paper Roll in Adafruit's store works perfectly!
Adafruit have quite a few sizes of embeddable thermal printers, larger ones can hold more paper in the bay, but are of course larger. All are identical 'code wise', although some have slightly different baud rates. Check out Adafruit's full range of thermal printers!
You will also need a 5 to 9V regulated power supply, that can provide 1.5A or more during the high-current print - Adafruit's 5V 2A switching power supply will work very nicely. You'll need to give that external power if you are using USB for power, you cannot power it over the USB cable.
Adafruit really like this printer because its easy to make Bold, underline, inverted text, variable line spacing, left/center/right justification, barcodes in 11 standard formats with adjustable height, and even custom bitmap graphics.
Of course, Adafruit wouldn't leave you with a datasheet and a "good luck!" - Adafruit have a full tutorial and matching Arduino library that demonstrates the following:
- Printing with small, medium and large text
- Bold and underline text
- Inverted text
- Variable line spacing
- Left, center and right justification
- Barcodes in the following standard formats: UPC A, UPC E, EAN13, EAN8, CODE39, I25, CODEBAR, CODE93, CODE128, CODE11 and MSI - with adjustable barcode height
- Custom monochrome bitmap graphics!
- How to include a QR code
Note: As of Friday, April 1st 2016, we are now shipping this product with a right angled mini USB.
- Requires ~2.25" wide paper roll
- Paper roll diameter: ≤ 30mm
- Paper roll length: 33'
- Power Voltage: 5~9V
- Connectors: 9600 baud TTL or USB
- Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or MacOS X 10.9 to 10.11 PL2303 USB drivers. Newer Mac drivers available @ Prolific
- Printing Speed: 25-70mm/s
- Resolution: 8 dots/mm. 384 dots/line
- Barcode support: EAN13, EAN8, Code39, Code93, Code128, ITF, Codebar, UPC-A, UPC-E, QRCode, PDF417
- Color: Black
- Printer Dimensions: 58mm x 82mm x 44.3mm / 2.3" x 3.2" x 1.7"
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.