|Bipolar stepper motor wires are terminated with bare leads.|
|Bipolar stepper motor wiring diagram.|
This high-torque hybrid bipolar stepping motor has a 1.8° step angle (200 steps/revolution). Each phase draws 2.8 A at 2.5 V, allowing for a holding torque of 13 kg-cm (180 oz-in). The motor has four color-coded wires terminated with bare leads: black and green connect to one coil; red and blue connect to the other. It can be controlled by a pair of suitable H-bridges (one for each coil), but Pololu recommend using a bipolar stepper motor driver.
Pololu's 1/4″ universal mounting hub can be used to mount objects on the stepper motor’s 1/4″-diameter output shaft.
- Size: 56.4 mm square × 56 mm, not including the shaft (NEMA 23)
- Weight: 0.7 kg (25 oz)
- Shaft diameter: 6.35 mm (0.25″) “D”
- Steps per revolution: 200
- Current rating: 2.8 A per coil
- Voltage rating: 2.5 V
- Resistance: 0.9 Ω per coil
- Holding torque: 13 kg-cm (180 oz-in)
- Inductance: 2.5 mH per coil
- Lead length: 30 cm (12″)
More specifications are available in the datasheet (49k pdf).
The following diagram shows the stepper motor dimensions in mm. The output D-shaft has a 0.25″ (6.35 mm) diameter with a section that is flattened by 0.5 mm (note: the diagram below incorrectly lists this flattened width as 6 mm when it is really 5.85 mm). This shaft works with Pololu's 1/4″ universal mounting hub.
|The inside of a bipolar stepper motor.|
Stepper Motor Applications
Stepper motors are generally used in a variety of applications where precise position control is desirable and the cost or complexity of a feedback control system is unwarranted. Here are a few applications where stepper motors are often found:
- CNC machines
- 3D printer/prototyping machines (e.g. RepRap)
- Laser cutters
- Pick and place machines
- Linear actuators
- Hard drives
|Pololu’s assortment of stepper motors.|
Note: This stepper motor is SOYO part number SY57STH56-2804A.
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.