MicroPython is a tiny open-source Python programming language interpreter that runs on microcontroller, originally written by Damien George (http://micropython.org/). With MicroPython you can write clean and simple Python code to control hardware instead of having to use complex low-level languages like C or C++ (what Arduino uses for programming). Its great for beginners!
The simplicity of the Python programming language makes MicroPython an excellent choice for beginners who are new to programming and hardware. However MicroPython is also quite full-featured and supports all of Python's syntax (Python version 3.4) and implements a small subset of the Python standard library so even seasoned Python veterans will find MicroPython familiar and fun to use.
Program your own MicroPython projects with ease—no prior programming experience necessary! This DIY guide provides a practical introduction to microcontroller programming with MicroPython. Written by an experienced electronics hobbyist, it features eight start-to-finish projects with clear, easy-to-follow instructions for each. You will learn how to use sensors, store data, control motors and other devices, and work with expansion boards. From there, you'll discover how to design, build, and program all kinds of entertaining and practical projects of your own.
- Learn MicroPython and object-oriented programming basics
- Explore the powerful features of the Pyboard, ESP8266, and WiPy
- Interface with a PC and load files, programs, and modules
- Work with LEDs, timers, and converters
- Control external devices using serial interfaces and PWM
- Build and program a let ball detector using three-axis accelerometer
- Install and program LCD and touch-sensor expansion boards
- Record and play sounds using the AMP audio board
Donald Norris has a degree in electrical engineering and an MBA specializing in production management. He is currently teaching undergrad and grad courses in the IT subject area at Southern New Hampshire University, where he has also created and taught several robotics courses. He has over 36 years of teaching experience as an adjunct professor at a variety of colleges and universities. He's spent over 22 years as a professional software developer using C, C#, C++, Python, Node.js, and Java, as well as 5 years as a certified IT security consultant. Mr. Norris started a consultancy, Norris Embedded Software Solutions, that specializes in developing application solutions using microprocessors and microcontrollers.
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.