Adafruit's best-selling PiTFT 2.8" display just got a fancy upgrade, now Adafruit have a version with a capacitive touchscreen! That's right, instead of a resistive touchscreen, which requires a fingernail or stylus, you can now use a fingerpad. The screen looks much nicer, with a black bezel and glass overlay.
Featuring a 2.8" display with 320x240 16-bit color pixels and a single-touch capacitive touch overlay. The plate uses the high speed SPI interface on the Pi and can use the mini display as a console, X window port, displaying images or video etc. Best of all it plugs right in on top!
It's designed to fit nicely onto the Pi 1 Model A or B rev 2 but also works OK with the Raspberry Pi Zero, Pi 3, Pi 2 or Pi 1 Model A+ or B+ (any Pi with a 2x20 connector) as long as you don't mind the PCB overhangs the USB ports by 5mm (see the photos above). Model B rev 1 have an older layout for the I2C pins and won't be able to use the touch screen. If you have a Raspberry Pi Zero, 3, 2 or Model B+ or A+ (any Pi with a 2x20 connector), Adafruit recommend the updated version of this product here!
Uses the hardware I2C Pins (SDA & SCL), SPI pins (SCK, MOSI, MISO, CE0) as well as GPIO #25 and #24. All other GPIO are unused and you can still share the I2C pins with sensors, LED drivers, etc. Since Adafruit had a tiny bit of space, there's 4 spots for optional slim tactile switches wired to four GPIOs, that you can use if you want to make a basic user interface. For example, you can use one as a power on/off button. See below for the link to get the optional tact switches, they're not included.
The screen is the same size as the resistive type so you can use this with the PiTFT PiBow or any other enclosure you may already have. They also use the same SDL device and signals so PyGame and X11 based programs can be swapped in with no changes in code.
New, as of Feb 25 2015, This version now comes assembled, with a 2x13 extra-tall female header (to connect the plate to the Pi) and a 2x13 male header that can be used to connect an IDC cable or cobbler from the side. The photos above also show the optional installed slim tactile buttons. The tactile buttons are not included, but you can pick up a pack of 20 here.
- Display current draw is mostly based on the backlight, with full-on backlight the current draw is ~100mA.
- Screen Dimensions: 50mm x 69mm x 4mm / 2" x 2.7" x 0.16"
- PCB Dimensions: 56mm x 85mm x 2mm / 2.2" x 3.4" x 0.08"
- Weight: 49.2g
- Note: As of February 25th 2015, this product comes assembled!
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.