This Photo Transistor Light Sensor is a simple sensor that detects ambient light. It's kind of the opposite of an LED - when light hits the little chip inside, it induces current to flow from the long pin to the short pin. This sensor has a built-in optical filter (probably IR filter) so it'll do a fair job of simulating light levels as the human eye does. Basically, connect the long + pin to 3-15VDC or so, and the short - pin through a ~1K-10K series resistor to ground. When its dark, there's almost no current flowing through the sensor or resistor and the analog voltage is near ground. When there's light near the sensor, the current through the resistor will increase, raising the voltage. You can adjust the series resistor to get the voltage range you need, and measure the analog voltage with a microcontroller.
- Sensor Dimensions: 5mm x 5.3mm / 0.20" x 0.21"
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.