Feel like someone is snooping on you? Browse anonymously anywhere you go with the Onion Pi Tor proxy. Using this pack of parts and a free weekend you can build a project that uses a Raspberry Pi, a USB WiFi module and Ethernet cable to create a small, low-power and portable privacy Pi.
After it's built, using it is easy-as-pie. First, plug the Ethernet cable into any Internet provider in your home, work, hotel or conference/event. Next, power up the Pi with the 5V 2A Power Supply. The Pi will boot up and create a new secure wireless access point called Onion Pi. Connecting to that access point will automatically route any web browsing from your computer through the anonymizing Tor network.
As of 12/11/2014 this pack is updated for the Raspberry Pi Model B+
This pack comes with everything you need, $92 of parts for $80! Each order comes with:
- Raspberry Pi Model B+ 512MB RAM - The freshness. The hot off the press, sell-like-hotcake, credit card sized computer with quad USB ports, improved power supply, and additional GPIO pins.
- Adafruit Raspberry Pi B+ Case - Smoke Base / Clear Top - we think it's the Single Greatest Raspberry Pi Model B+ Case Ever - though our Pi Box Plus is also nothing to scoff at.
- USB WiFi Module - Give your Rasp Pi the Internet with this USB port WiFi module, this module is compact but has great range and is plenty fast.
- 10 foot Ethernet cable - connect this from your Pi to a router with Internet service
- 5V 2A Switching Power Supply w/ 6' MicroUSB Cable or 5V 2A Switching Power Supply with USB port + 6' MicroUSB Cable - The 5V 2A power adapter is the perfect choice for powering your Raspberry Pi B+ with 2 Amps of current output, and an extra long cord.
- USB console cable - good for debugging and setting up your Pi when running it without a monitor/keyboard
- 4 GB SD Card with Wheezy - a 4GB card with Raspbian 7 already installed.
You'll still need to set up the access point and Tor software according to Adafruit's tutorial. This project is best used by people with a little bit of command-line, linux or Raspberry Pi experience. If you've set up a Raspberry Pi and configured it before, this project will be a fun experience. Adafruit have tons of tutorials for exploring Raspberry Pi in the Adafruit Learning System.
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade