Adafruit love Adafruit's black and white monochrome displays but They also like to dabble with some color now and then. Adafruit's new 0.96" color OLED displays are perfect when you need an ultra-small display with vivid, high-contrast 16-bit color. The visible portion of the OLED measures 0.96" diagonal and contains 96x64 RGB pixels, each one made of red, green and blue OLEDs. Each pixel can be set with 16-bits of resolution for a large range of colors. Because the display uses OLEDs, there is no backlight, and the contrast is very high (black is really black). they picked this display for its excellent color, this is the nicest mini OLED Adafruit could find!
This OLED uses the SSD1331 driver chip, which manages the display. You can talk to the driver chip using either 4-wire write-only SPI (clock, data, chip select, data/command and an optional reset pin). Included on the fully assembled breakout is the OLED display and a small boost converter (required for providing 12V to the OLED) and a microSD card holder. New! Adafruit have updated this design to have built-in logic level shifting so you can use it with 3-5VDC power and logic levels. Adafruit's example code shows how to read a bitmap from the uSD card and display it all via SPI.
Of course, Adafruit wouldn't just leave you with a datasheet and a "good luck!" - Adafruit have written a full open source graphics library that can draw pixels, lines, rectangles, circles, text and bitmaps as well as example code and a wiring tutorial. The code is written for Arduino but can be easily ported to your favorite microcontroller!
OLED Breakout Board - 16-bit Color 0.96" w/microSD holder (4:55)
- Datasheet, Fritzing, and EagleCAD PCB GitHub files available in product tutorial
- 0.96" diagonal OLED, 16-bit color
- SPI interface
- 3.3-5V logic and power
- PCB size: 31.5mm x 35.5 x 5mm
- Display current draw is completely dependent on your usage: each OLED LED draws current when on so the more pixels you have lit, the more current is used. They tend to draw ~25mA or so in practice but for precise numbers you must measure the current in your usage circuit. This does not include the SD card, which is separate
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $5.78 for Air Mail (3+ days, not tracked)
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.