Mecanum wheels allow your robot to not only travel forward and backward, but also side to side. Using rollers set on a 45° rotational axis parallel to the main rotational axis of the wheel, it allows sideways movement as well as forward and backward movement!
These wheels are the updated version of Fingertech’s original Mecanum wheels and they’ve made some awesome improvements. First of all, they moved to an all-metal aluminum design, making them more rugged. Secondly, the rollers are now supported on either side (instead of from the center) which reduces the friction from rollers rubbing against hubs. A small hex wrench is included with each wheel set to tighten the grub screw on the aluminum hub. These will mate directly with our micro gear motors but if you’re using it with other motors you can easily drill out the hubs to accept larger shafts.
Notes: For the best performance, there a few things you should know. The wheels might need a little lubrication to get the rollers moving well enough for lateral movement. Some basic grease works well. Since lateral motion relies on the motors moving against each other, you will get the smoothest lateral movement when the wheels are traveling at the same speed. The use of encoders (or some feedback loop) is recommended. Lastly, making sure your robot platform is balanced helps tremendously as well. Too much weight in the front or back can cause poor results.
Weight: 60g per Wheel
- All Metal Construction
- Anodized Aluminum Hubplates
- EPDM Rubber Rollers
- Outside Wheel Diameter: 54mm
- Wheel Width at Widest Point: 34mm
- Mount Bore: 3mm (Can be drilled out to 6mm)
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.