This version of the QRE1113 breakout board features a digital output, using a capacitor discharge circuit to measure the amount of reflection. This tiny board is perfect for line sensing when only digital I/O is available, and can be used in both 3.3V and 5V systems.
The board’s QRE1113 IR reflectance sensor is comprised of two parts - an IR emitting LED and an IR sensitive phototransistor. When you apply power to the VCC and GND pins the IR LED inside the sensor will illuminate. A 100Ω resistor is on-board and placed in series with the LED to limit current. The output of the phototransistor is tied to a 10nF capacitor. The faster that capacitor discharges, the more reflective the surface is.
These sensors are widely used in line following robots. White surfaces reflect more light than black, so, when directed towards a white surface, the capacitor will discharge faster than it would when pointed towards a black surface.
The power input and output pins are brought out to a 3-pin, 0.1" pitch header. The board also has a single mounting hole if you want to screw it onto something.
We also have an analog version of this board.
- 5VDC operating voltage
- 25mA supply current
- Digital I/O compatible
- No ADC required
- Optimal sensing distance: 0.125" (3mm)
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.