Fingerprint scanners are awesome. Why use a key when you have one right at the tip of your finger? Unfortunately, they’re usually unreliable or difficult to implement. Well not anymore! We’ve found this great fingerprint module from ADH-Tech that communicates over TTL Serial so you can easily embed it into your next project.
The module itself does all of the heavy lifting behind reading and identifying the fingerprints with an on-board optical sensor and 32-bit CPU. All you need to do is send it simple commands. To get started, just register each fingerprint that you want to store by sending the corresponding command and pressing your finger against the reader three times. The fingerprint scanner can store different fingerprints and the database of prints can even be downloaded from the unit and distributed to other modules. As well as the fingerprint “template,” the analyzed version of the print, you can also retrieve the image of a fingerprint and even pull raw images from the optical sensor!
This is the updated version of the GT-511 which has an increased memory capacity. The module can store up to 200 different fingerprints (that’s 10x more than the old version!) and is now capable of 360° recognition.
The module is small and easy to mount using two mounting tabs on the side of the sensor. The on-board JST-SH connector has four signals: Vcc, GND, Tx, Rx. A compatible JST-SH pigtail can be found in the related items below. Demo software for PC is available in the documents below, simply connect the module to your computer using an FTDI Breakout and start the software to read fingerprints!
Note: The module does not come with a cable, check below for an appropriate one.
Dimensions: 37 x 17 x 9.5 mm
- High-Speed, High-Accuracy Fingerprint Identification using the SmackFinger 3.0 Algorithm
- Download Fingerprint Images from the Device
- Read and Write Fingerprint Templates and Databases
- Simple UART protocol (Default 9600 baud)
- Capable of 1:1 Verification and 1:N Identification
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
- Getting Hands-on with Sensors
What good is a robot if it can’t interact with the environment around it? Sensors are the backbone of almost every electronics project as they allow your program to make decisions based on external stimuli. We’ve got sensors for all kinds...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.