Your project may be free-as-in-speech, but that doesn't mean it has to be free-as-in-beer. This handy coin validator/acceptor module is just like the ones you've seen in arcades. First, program it with what coin you want it to accept, any coin from 10.8mm to 25.1mm in diameter can be used so you can use American, European, Japanese, Canadian, etc. coins as long as they fit. When a valid coin is inserted, the output line will pulse for 20-60ms (configurable). The acceptor looks for diameter, thickness, dropping speed, etc to determine if a coin is valid. You can select 3 different "strictness" levels.
Comes with the acceptor itself, mounting hardware, and a cable for power/signal. The coin falls through, you choose how and where to store them.
To program the validator: power with 12VDC (power wire goes to +12VDC, ground wire to common ground). Press and hold the little button on top for 5 seconds and release. The LED will be on. Now insert 30 sample coins of the value you want to detect (say 30 quarters or 30 Euro coins). Once the LED goes out it's programmed! Connect a 10K (1K to 100K is fine) pullup resistor from the COIN wire to your microcontroller's VCC line (for Arduino, this is a +5V). Then connect/'listen' on the COIN wire for pulses. Insert a coin, and verify that the line pulses high for about 40 milliseconds.
You can download the Electronic Piggy Bank project code from github.
- Power requirements: 12VDC (+- 20%)
- Quiescent current: ~25mA
- Peak current (for solenoid): 400mA
- Accepts coins from 10.8mm to 25.1mm in diameter, 1.2mm to 3.0mm thick. Does not work with coins that have holes in them
- Programmable for a single coin
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.