The Open Music Labs Codec Shield gives your Arduino (or Maple) development board access to the all of the audio processing power of the Wolfson WM8731 codec. The WM8731 is a low-power stereo audio codec with stereo 24-bit multi-bit sigma delta ADCs and DACs which are used with oversampling digital interpolation and decimation filters. Thanks to the variable sampling frequency of the codec, even the relatively slow Arduino can grab and alter audio in real-time.
The Codec Shield breaks out all of the useful pins on the WM8731 including the mic, line-in and out, headphone, and midrail bias voltage pin. It also has 1/8" stereo input and headphone out jacks as well as a pair of potentiometers for modulating parameters in your code.
The shield uses SPI to communicate with the WM8731 so it won’t work directly with the Arduino Mega, but getting started on an Arduino-UNO style board or LeafLabs Maple is easy! Just download the library and example code, hook up and audio source and start tweaking.
Obviously you don’t have much time to execute code between audio samples, so your code will need to stay pretty slim, but the example code gives a great framework for how your code should flow. Open Music Labs claims a performance increase of 4x when running the shield on a Maple (thanks to the higher clock speed).
- Wolfson WM8731 Codec
- On-board 5V to 3.3V Level Translator
- Mic, Line-in and out, Headphone, and Midrail Bias Voltage Pins Broken Out
- 1/8" Stereo In and Out Jacks
- Single Pole Analog Input Aliasing Filter
- 2 Potentiometers On-board for Modulating Code
- Stereo 24-bit Multi-bit Sigma Delta ADCs and DACs
- Arduino and Maple Libraries and Code Available!
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.