Note: As of May 12, 2014 Adafruit is shipping Rev C. Adafruit have discontinued selling Rev B. There are no exchanges or "upgrades" for Rev B to Rev C.
If you liked the BeagleBone Black Rev B, you will love the Rev C! The Rev C still has a blistering 1GHz processor and 512MB onboard DDR3 RAM and like the rev B it has a AM3358 microprocessor, two 46-pin headers, micro HDMI for audio/video output, USB ports, 10/100 Ethernet and other I/O features. The Rev C is an ultra-powered embedded computer that can fit in a mint tin.
The new model includes 4GB of eMMC built-in storage instead of the Rev B's 2GB. With the doubled storage and faster eMMC, the developers were able to make the Rev C's most significant change: shipping the BeagleBone Black with Debian Linux pre-loaded on the board's flash instead of Angstrom Linux. Debian Linux is a more user-friendly operating system than Angstrom and the switch to Debian is partly the result of consumer demand (especially from Adafruit users, thanks!)
Of course the BeagleBone Black Rev C is an open board so if you want to load it back up with Angstrom or other Linux-based distributions like Ubuntu or Android, you can.
The rev C comes with a mini-B cable for powering it up ASAP. No microSD card is included as the BBB has onboard flash storage - and no SD card loading is required to get started. For this revision, CircuitCo has also partnered with Element14 to try and offset some of the demand.
We'll be filling in with more information on supported accessories as Adafruit test them for compatibility. For now We suggest picking up an enclosure, a 5V 2A power supply and a micro-HDMI cable. If you want to use it 'head-less', a USB console cable is suggested as the 'Black does not have an onboard USB-to-Serial converter like the original BeagleBone.
If you need a nice display to go along with your 'Bone, Check out Adafruit's fine selection of HDMI displays, Adafruit have tested all of them with the Beagle Bone Black Rev C
The new BeagleBone Black Rev C ships with the Debian Linux w/the 3.8.13-bone kernel, but the box says Ångström Distribution, that’s not correct – it’s Debian Linux w/the 3.8.13-bone kernel. This post is for reference if a customer asks why the box says something different than what ships. We’ve also alerted TI and CircuitCo.
The BBB manual has lots of starting information and pointers for getting the most of your BeagleBone Black
As of May 12, 2014 the BBB comes with Debian Linux w/the 3.8.13-bone kernel
- Processor: Sitara AM3358BZCZ100 1GHz, 2000 MIPS
- Graphics Engine: SGX530 3D, 20M Polygons/S
- SDRAM Memory: 512MB DDR3L 606MHZ
- Onboard Flash: 4GB, 8bit Embedded MMC
- PMIC: TPS65217C PMIC regulator and one additional LDO.
- Debug Support: Optional Onboard 20-pin CTI JTAG, Serial Header
- Power Source: miniUSB USB or DC Jack, 5VDC External Via Expansion Header
- PCB: 86.44mm x 54.54mm / 3.4” x 2.15” 6 layers
- 88.98mm x 54.54mm x 15.41mm / 3.5" x 2.15" x 0.6"
- Indicators 1-Power, 2-Ethernet, 4-User Controllable LEDs
- HiSpeed USB 2.0 Client Port: Access to USB0, Client mode via miniUSB
- HiSpeed USB 2.0 Host Port Access to USB1, Type A Socket, 500mA LS/FS/HS
- Serial Port UART0 access via 6 pin 3.3V TTL Header. Header is populated
- Ethernet 10/100, RJ45
- SD/MMC Connector microSD , 3.3V
- User Input: Reset Button, Boot Button, Power Button
- Video Out: 16b HDMI, 1280x1024 (MAX), 1024x768,1280x720,1440x900 w/EDID Support
- Audio Via HDMI Interface, Stereo
- Expansion Connectors:
- Power 5V, 3.3V , VDD_ADC(1.8V)
- 3.3V I/O on all signals
- McASP0, SPI1, I2C, GPIO(65), LCD, GPMC, MMC1, MMC2, 7 AIN(1.8V MAX), 4 Timers, 3 Serial Ports, CAN0, EHRPWM(0,2),XDMA Interrupt, Power button, Expansion Board ID (Up to 4 can be stacked)
- Weight 40.55g / 1.43oz
For all technical issues, replacement and warranty assistance for the CircuitCo BeagleBone Black contact CircuitCo
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.