Adafruit sure love the ATmega328 here at Adafruit, and Adafruit use them a lot for Adafruit's own projects. The processor has plenty of GPIO, Analog inputs, hardware UART SPI and I2C, timers and PWM galore - just enough for most simple projects. When Adafruit need to go small, Adafruit use a Pro Trinket 3V or 5V, but if you want to have USB-to-Serial built in, Adafruit reach for an Adafruit METRO Mini.
METRO Mini is the culmination of years of playing with AVRs: Adafruit wanted to make a tiny, breadboard-friendly development board that is easy to use and is hacker friendly. Metro Mini can be programmed with the Arduino IDE (select 'UNO' in the boards dropdown)
- ATmega328 brains - This popular chip has 32KB of flash (1/2 K is reserved for the bootloader), 2KB of RAM, clocked at 16MHz
- Power the METRO Mini with 6-16V polarity protected on the Vin pin, or plug the micro USB connector to any 5V USB source.
- METRO has 20 GPIO pins, 6 of which are Analog in as well, and 2 of which are reserved for the USB-serial converter. There's also 6 PWMs available on 3 timers (1 x 16-bit, 2 x 8-bit). There's a hardware SPI port, hardware I2C port and hardware UART to USB.
- GPIO Logic level is 5V but by cutting and soldering closed a jumper on the bottom, you can easily convert it to 3.3V logic
- 5V onboard regulator with 150mA out, 3.3V 50mA available via FTDI chip
- USB to Serial converter, there's a genuine SiLabs CP2104 hardware USB to Serial converter that can be used by any computer to listen/send data to the METRO, and can also be used to launch and update code via the bootloader
- Four indicator LEDs, on the top of the PCB, for easy debugging. One green power LED, two RX/TX LEDs for the UART, and a red LED connected to pin PB5 / digital #13
- Easy reprogramming, comes pre-loaded with the Optiboot bootloader
- Beautiful styling by PaintYourDragon and Bruce Yan, in Adafruit Black with gold plated pads.
The Metro Mini comes as a fully assembled and tested board, with bootloader burned in and also a stick of 0.1" header. Some light soldering is required if you'd like to plug it into a breadboard, or you can solder wires or header directly to the breakout pads. Once headers are installed they can be fitted into 0.6" wide sockets
Mac & Windows People! Don't forget to grab & install the FTDI VCP drivers from FTDI and the SiLabs CP210x drivers from SiLabs to make the COM/Serial port show up right! The default drivers may not support the interface chip!
- As of Nov 8th 2016, we are now shipping with the SiLabs CP2104 - a high quality USB-to-Serial converter that performs as well or better than the FTDI series
- ATmega328 microcontroller with Optiboot (UNO) Bootloader
- USB Programming and debugging via the well-supported genuine FTDI FT231X or the SiLabs CP2104
- Input voltage (Vin): 6-16V (a 9VDC power supply is recommended)
- 5V logic with 3.3V compatible inputs, can be converted to 3.3V logic operation
- 20 Digital I/O Pins: 6 are also PWM outputs and 6 are also Analog Inputs
- 32KB Flash Memory - 0.5K for bootloader, 31.5KB available after bootloading
- 16MHz Clock Speed
- Adafruit Black PCB with gold plate on pads
- 18mm x 44mm x 4mm / 0.7" x 1.7" x 0.2"
- Weight: 3g
- Derivative of "Arduino UNO R3 Reference design"
- Open source hardware files on github!
- Fritzing object in the Adafruit Fritzing Library
- ATmega328P product page
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.