Look, just bolt this to your ceiling fan already - Adafruit know that's the first thing you thought of! OK, so you already know what DotStar LEDs are - those digitally controllable LEDs that have two data wires and higher refresh rates for than NeoPixels. You can control them with any microcontroller since the timing on the data lines isn't particular, and you can use an SPI peripheral to send data pretty fast. DotStars come in the classic 5050 (5mm x 5mm) size as well as an adorable 2020 (2mm x 2mm)
So what Adafruit have here is a special rigid PCB with 128 those tiny 2mm x 2mm LEDs on em, as close as possible. Adafruit already have flexible LEDs, but with the ultra-high density (240 LED/meter density) Adafruit have here, you have to go rigid. Also, instead of a plain FR4 PCB it has an aluminum backing for extra strength and heat dissipation. Note that the PCB is rigid but requires support so it doesn't droop and crack. It's not intended to be bent or curved at all, and if you do so you may crack the copper traces.
This rigid LED Bar is just under half a meter long (400mm, excluding connectors) with 128 addressable LEDs and looks fantastic as accent lighting, backlighting, edge lighting, etc! However, Adafruit must note these bars are not cheap and require some care to use. First, they must have mechanical support so they don't bend & crack. Second, you could turn on all the LEDs on at full brightness and draw about 6 Amps but you'll overheat and damage the LEDs. So instead, keep your brightness at 50% or don't light up too many LEDs. Keep the power usage at under 15W (3A @ 5V)
These bars come with a 4-pin JST SM connector on both ends (and an extra GND and 5V wire), but you can remove these easily with a soldering iron. For the power wires, you will probably want a 2.1mm DC jack to wire in, so you can connect one of Adafruit's 5V wall adapters to power it.
- LED: APA102-220
- Beam Angle: 120º
- LED Quantity: 128
- Operating Voltage: DC5V
- Power (W): recommend no more than 15W ± 0.5W in order to avoid overheating
- Control (IC): APA102 DotStar
- Waterproof Rating: IP20 (e.g. not at all)
- Luminance: R: 300-500mcd / G: 500-850mcd / B: 120-220mcd
- Wavelength: R: 619-626nm / G: 520-535nm / B: 465-475mcd
- Product Dimensions: 384.0mm x 10.0mm x 1.5mm / 15.1" x 0.4" x 0.1"
- Product Weight: 21.4g / 0.8oz
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.