|Bipolar stepper motor wires are terminated with bare leads.|
|Bipolar stepper motor wiring diagram.|
This hybrid bipolar stepping motor has a 1.8° step angle (200 steps/revolution). Each phase draws 670 mA at 4.5 V, allowing for a holding torque of 950 g-cm (13 oz-in). The motor has four color-coded wires terminated with bare leads: black and green connect to one coil; red and blue connect to the other. It can be controlled by a pair of suitable H-bridges (one for each coil), but Pololu recommend using a bipolar stepper motor driver.
Pololu's 5 mm universal mounting hub can be used to mount objects on the stepper motor’s 5 mm-diameter output shaft.
- Size: 28 mm square × 45 mm, not including the shaft (NEMA 11)
- Weight: 140 g (5 oz)
- Shaft diameter: 5 mm “D”
- Steps per revolution: 200
- Current rating: 670 mA per coil
- Voltage rating: 4.5 V
- Resistance: 6.8 Ω per coil
- Holding torque: 950 g-cm (13 oz-in)
- Inductance: 4.9 mH per coil
- Lead length: 30 cm (12″)
More specifications are available in the datasheet (45k pdf).
The following diagram shows the stepper motor dimensions in mm. The dimension labeled “Length” is 45 mm. The output shaft has a length of 20 mm and a 5 mm diameter with a section that is flattened by 0.5 mm. This shaft works with Pololu's 5 mm universal mounting hub.
|The inside of a bipolar stepper motor.|
Stepper Motor Applications
Stepper motors are generally used in a variety of applications where precise position control is desirable and the cost or complexity of a feedback control system is unwarranted. Here are a few applications where stepper motors are often found:
- CNC machines
- 3D printer/prototyping machines (e.g. RepRap)
- Laser cutters
- Pick and place machines
- Linear actuators
- Hard drives
|Pololu’s assortment of stepper motors.|
Note: This stepper motor is SOYO part number SY28STH45-0674A.
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade