The SparkPunk Kit is a sound generator made in the spirit of the Atari Punk Console. Rather than simply recreating the Atari Punk, the SparkPunk is a new design that springs from a similar foundation. It starts with a dual 555 timer IC, then adds a second tone source, sub-octaves and a bandpass filter. With all of the knobs and switches, a lot of tonal variations are possible. As a through-hole kit, the SparkPunk can also be easily extended and modified, expanding the palette of tones even further.
The SparkPunk is a very simple synthesizer, using the somewhat conventional arrangement of oscillators that feed a filter. All you need to know to play this sound generator is to press the button, operate the control knobs, listen to the results, and adjust your music to how you want it. The SparkPunk is intended for you to explore and have fun! Some people are drawn to mellow, soothing sounds, while others prefer clangourous tones, and that’s fine, to each their own. With all of the controls, you should be able to explore both ends of the spectrum.
In addition, the SparkPunk is quite customizable as well. Any knob with a 0.25" inner diameter can be attached to the tops of each potentiometer, external speaker lines can be soldered into the board for a more permanent sound distrobution option, and photocells can be added to control the kit without actually touching it. There are plenty more optional modifications that can be added and played with.
Note: Check the Hookup Guide in the Documents section below for assembly instructions and helpful tips and tricks for your SparkPunk.
- Operating Voltage: 9V
- PTH Soldering Kit
- Dual Oscillators & Sub-Octaves
- Analog Expansion Port
- Sweepable Band Pass Filter
- 1x SparkPunk PCB
- 1x ICM7556 Integrated Circuit
- 1x CD4013BE Integrated Circuit
- 2x LM358 Integrated Circuit
- 1x 10K Ohm Dual Potentiometer
- 3x 10K Ohm Potentiometer
- 1x Red LED Tactile Button
- 5x Mini Power Switch
- 1x 1N5819 Schottky Diode
- 2x 1N4148 Silicon Diode
- 1x 1M Ohm 1/4W Resistor
- 1x 1K Ohm 1/4W Resistor
- 2x 470 Ohm 1/4W Resistor
- 5x 10k Ohm 1/4W Resistor
- 5x 100k Ohm 1/4W Resistor
- 1x 0.47uF Ceramic Capacitor
- 3x 1uF Ceramic Capacitor
- 5x 0.1uF Ceramic Capacitor
- 7x 10uF 25V Electrolytic Capacitor
- 1x 3.5mm Audio Jack
- 1x 2-56 Nut
- 1x 3/8" 2-56 Phillips Machine Screw
- 1x 9V Alkaline Battery
- 1x 9V Battery Holder
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.