You know those ZIF sockets Adafruit have for DIP chips? Well these are just like that but for SMT parts! Yeah, that's right, now you can program and test out your favorite new parts in SOIC-8 packages. This test socket is good for any SOIC/SOP "Narrow" 8 pin chip in a 150mil wide body. Simply press down on the top, place the chip in carefully and then release to latch the chip in. The chip is held securely against gold 'fingers' in the socket. 200mil or wider chips will not fit, but we do have other sockets for medium/wide SOIC chips.
The socket is soldered onto a pair of PCBs that turn it into, essentially, a 16 pin DIP with 0.6" spacing that can be breadboarded fairly easily. Since the socket is a 16 pin socket that has been sectioned off to be only 8 pin, there are 16 pins in the breadboard, simply use 4 on each side and ignore the other 8 pins - they do provide mechanical stability when plugged into a breadboard
The test socket is a high quality, Japanese construction from
- 33.2mm/1.3" wide x 36.3mm/1.4" long x 31mm/1.2" high (closed w/header pins)
- Fits 8-pin 150mil wide SOIC/SOP
- Broken out into 0.6" wide 16 pin breadboard spacing
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.